It still amazes me that in this pedantic world in which we live, people are still able to buy potentially lethal products over the counter that the drugstore - from chemical-based formulas concocted to clear your skin, to teeth-whitening products made with ingredients that several countries have banned.
It seems shocking that a world so obsessed with clean-eating and self-care is so oblivious to the perils of everyday products.
Another product which can have severe consequences is hair dye. I mean, it seems ridiculous that hair stylists have to pass several qualifications before they can be let loose on a client, and yet brands like L'Oreal sell packaged dye for a few dollars on the mass market. It's inevitable that mistakes will be made.
Of course, mistakes are made. We all know somebody who has tried to dye their hair blonde, but instead, their locks are now tinged green. Or that person who ended up with a full head of ginger hair, when what they really wanted was platinum blonde. And whilst these mistakes are easy to laugh at, there are other situations that are much more serious.
Take 19-year-old French student, Estelle for example. The teen suffered a horrific allergic reaction after using a home hair dye kit.
The kit used by Estelle contained the chemical paraphenylenediamine, also known as PPD. PPD is found in a large number of hair dye products and occasionally as a substitute for henna.
Estelle, who lives in Paris, purchased the dye kit from a local supermarket and read the instructions that came with the kit. However, rather than allowing the recommended 48-hours for a patch test, Estelle only waited half an hour before concluding she was safe to continue.
She doused her hair with the dye and "almost immediately" knew that there was something wrong, she explains to Le Parisien.
Quickly her scalp began to swell. Concerned, but not alarmed, Estelle took some antihistamines and applied a cream before going to bed.
When she woke the next morning and looked in the mirror, she saw that her head had swollen dramatically. It ended up measuring a shocking 63 cm, as opposed to her regular 56 cm. Essentially, her head grew more than 2 inches wider!
Estelle is now hoping that her case can help to raise awareness for the dangers of hair dye. "I almost died, I don't want something similar to happen to other people," she said.
Speaking to Le Parisien, her mother stated: "It's true that she didn't follow the instructions word for word, but the warning has to be clearer."
Thankfully, Estelle doesn't have any lasting damage. Although, there is no doubt that she won't be dying her own hair again anytime soon!